G SCALE HOBBIES are the Australian Agents for Roundhouse Engineering’s Living Steam. Further information and details of Live Steam locos are available at Roundhouse Engineering. For advice and assistance, a Roundhouse Catalogue, or to order Live Steam please Contact Us.
Darjeeling D Class Garratt
G SCALE HOBBIES can help bring your garden railway layout to life with Roundhouse Engineering’s Living Steam locos. Precision built by craftsmen in the UK in SM32/SM45/G scale these locos are steam driven by a butane burner. A variety of locos in American, British and European outline are available, including the new Darjeeling D Class Garratt.
The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway is probably one of the most famous narrow gauge railways in the world. Situated in India, this engineering masterpiece which rises a total of 6,850 feet over it’s 50 mile length, was constructed between 1878 and 1881. Built by Beyer Peacock & Co Ltd. At their Manchester works, the Garratt locomotive was delivered to the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway in 1911 and was put into service on 30th June. It was assigned by the DHR as Class ‘D’ and given the running number 31. The locomotive was thought to have carried the name ‘Highland Chief’ for a short period in the 1920s and was regularly seen working between Tindharia and Darjeeling. It finally earned its keep on the extension lines hauling loads of 200 tons, and was eventually scrapped in 1954.
The Roundhouse Class ‘D’ features a wealth of detail to augment the legendary ROUNDHOUSE performance and reliability.
Technical specifications for the Darjeeling “D” Class Garratt:
- Internal gas firing using our new ‘FG2’ type burner.
- Outside framed 0-4-0+0-4-0 chassis’ with four double acting slide valve cylinders operated by simplified Walschaerts valve gear.
- Water top-up system and water gauge.
- Controls fitted as standard are: steam regulator, safety valve, pressure gauge, displacement lubricator, gas regulator and reversing gear.
- Glazed cab windows.
- Dimensions (loading gauge) are, Length 532mm over buffers, Width 116mm, Height 170mm.
- The wheels are adjustable between 32mm and 45mm gauge. Fitted with insulated wheels as standard.
- Full 2.4GHz radio control for both regulator and reversing valve gear.
- Available in any standard ROUNDHOUSE colour.
- This model requires a minimum track radius of 2′ 6″ (760mm).
Information courtesy of Roundhouse Engineering.
Accucraft Trains, manufacturers of Live Steam and Electric Models, was formed in 1994 in Mountain View, California. The company’s first project was a 1:24 scale boxcar. The following year saw the production of detailed 1:24 scale 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 locomotives. The models were painted and hand assembled in the little California office, and the company was soon off and running.
As Accucraft has grown, so has it product range. The firm now caters to model railroad enthusiasts in scales from On3 up to 7.5″ gauge ride-on equipment. Electric and live steam locomotives are offered, along with detailed rolling stock and an extensive line of track to fill out the range.
Live steam locos have appeared in 1:32, 1:20.3, 1:19 and 1:13.7 scale, covering everything from diminutive 0-4-0s to massive 4-8-8-4 UP ‘Big Boys’!
Details of current models are available through Accucraft.
Accucraft are currently developing a 1:32 scale live steam version of their very successful electric LNER A3 Class “Flying Scotsman”
The model will be gas-fired with slide valves and have all the features the Gauge 1 fraternity have come to expect from an Accucraft locomotive. The cylinders are drilled, tapped and plugged to accept DJB Engineering’s automatic drain cocks.
The chassis is constructed from stainless steel. Boiler, cab and tender are constructed from etched brass. Like other fine scale models from Accucraft, it will provide many years of enjoyment.
- Scale / Gauge: 1:32 / 45 mm
- Construction: Brass & Stainless Steel
- Mini. Radius: 6′ 6″ (2 M)
- Copper Boiler, Brass boiler jacket, Gas Tank in Tender (Water Bath)
- Brass Cab, Brass Tender
- Steel Drivers
- Walschaerts Valve Gear, Safety Valve
- Water Level Glass, Water Hand Pump with Check Valve, Axle Water Pump with Bypass Valve, Pressure Gauge, Lubricator, Slide Valve Cylinders